If you’re familiar with Hindi typing, there’s a good chance that you’ve heard of Kruti Dev Font. It is the most widely used Hindi font in India, found in everything from official documents to newspapers, books, and websites. In this article, we’ll take a closer look at Kruti Dev Font, its history, features, and usage.
Introduction: What is Kruti Dev Font?
Kruti Dev Font is a Hindi typeface used for typing in Devanagari script, which is the script used for Hindi, Marathi, and Nepali languages. It was created by Dr. Bhawanidas Apte in 1955 and is considered the most popular Hindi font in India. The name “Kruti Dev” is derived from the Devanagari script and the creator’s name, Kruti being a Sanskrit word that means “creation” or “design.”
History of Kruti Dev Font
Kruti Dev Font was created in 1955 by Dr. Bhawanidas Apte, a linguist and typographer. Apte created the font for the purpose of standardizing Hindi typography, which at the time was diverse and fragmented. The first version of Kruti Dev Font, Kruti Dev 010, was based on the English typewriter layout, with some modifications to accommodate the Devanagari script. Since then, several variants of Kruti Dev Font have been developed, with each variant having its own unique features and keyboard layout.
Kruti Dev Font Family
- Kruti Dev Regular
Kruti Dev Font Download
Download Kruti Dev Font
Please Review This Font
|Font Name||Kruti Dev Font|
|Designer||Dr. Bhawanidas Apte|
|License||Free for commercial font|
Features of Kruti Dev Font
Kruti Dev Font is a modular font that is easy to read and write. Some of its features include:
- It is a non-Unicode font, meaning that each character is assigned a specific code point.
- It supports the Devanagari script used for Hindi, Marathi, and Nepali languages.
- It is available in multiple font weights and styles.
- It is easy to install and use.
- It is widely supported by applications such as Microsoft Word, Adobe Photoshop, and CorelDraw.
How to Install Kruti Dev Font?
Installing Kruti Dev Font is a simple process. Here’s how to do it on a Windows PC:
- Download the Kruti Dev Font from a reliable source, such as the official website or a trusted font repository.
- Extract the font files from the downloaded archive.
- Right-click on the font file and select “Install” from the context menu.
- The font will be installed on your system and will be available in your word processing or design software.
Applications of Kruti Dev Font
Kruti Dev Font is widely used in India for various applications, such as:
- Typing official documents in Hindi, Marathi, or Nepali languages.
- Printing newspapers, magazines, and books in Hindi script.
- Designing logos and advertisements in Hindi script.
- Creating digital content such as websites and social media posts in Hindi script.
Kruti Dev Font Vs. Unicode Font
Kruti Dev Font is a non-Unicode font, meaning that each character is assigned a specific code point Unicode, on the other hand, is a universal character encoding standard that covers most of the world’s writing systems, including Devanagari. Unicode fonts are compatible with multiple platforms and applications, making them more versatile than non-Unicode fonts like Kruti Dev. However, some users still prefer Kruti Dev Font for its simplicity and ease of use.
Kruti Dev Font Keyboard Layout
The Kruti Dev Font keyboard layout is based on the English typewriter layout, with some modifications to accommodate the Devanagari script. The layout is designed to be intuitive and easy to learn, with most of the commonly used characters located on the main keyboard. The keyboard layout is available in several variants, each with its own unique features and key mappings.
Typing in Kruti Dev Font
Typing in Kruti Dev Font is straightforward, once you have the font installed and the keyboard layout set up. The process is similar to typing in any other font, with the main difference being the placement of the characters on the keyboard. You can use Kruti Dev Font to type in Hindi, Marathi, or Nepali languages, depending on the keyboard layout and the character set supported by the font.
Kruti Dev Font Variants
There are several variants of Kruti Dev Font, each with its own unique features and characteristics. Some of the popular variants of Kruti Dev Font include:
- Kruti Dev 010: The original version of Kruti Dev Font, based on the English typewriter layout.
- Kruti Dev 011: A modified version of Kruti Dev 010, with improved spacing and kerning.
- Kruti Dev 014: A condensed version of Kruti Dev Font, suitable for titles and headings.
- Kruti Dev 016: A bold version of Kruti Dev Font, suitable for emphasis and highlighting.
- Kruti Dev 020: A wide version of Kruti Dev Font, suitable for posters and banners.
Kruti Dev Font Compatibility
Kruti Dev Font is widely supported by applications and operating systems in India. However, its compatibility with international applications and platforms is limited due to its non-Unicode nature. Some applications may not display Kruti Dev Font correctly or may require additional software to support the font.
Advantages of Kruti Dev Font
Kruti Dev Font has several advantages, including:
- It is easy to learn and use, even for users with no prior knowledge of Hindi typing.
- It is widely used in India and is familiar to most users.
- It is available in multiple font weights and styles, making it versatile for various applications.
- It is easy to install and use on most operating systems and applications.
Disadvantages of Kruti Dev Font
Kruti Dev Font also has some disadvantages, including:
- It is a non-Unicode font, making it incompatible with some international applications and platforms.
- It has limited character support, making it unsuitable for some specialized applications.
- It may not display correctly on some devices or software, leading to readability issues.
Future of Kruti Dev Font
Kruti Dev Font has been the go-to font for Hindi typing for over six decades. However, with the rise of Unicode fonts and digital technology, its dominance is gradually diminishing. While it will continue to be used in India for the foreseeable future, it may eventually be replaced by more versatile and universal fonts.
Kruti Dev Font is an essential part of Hindi typography and is widely used in India for various applications. Its simplicity and ease of use have made it popular among users, but its non-Unicode nature and limited compatibility have also posed some challenges. As technology evolves, Kruti Dev Font may eventually be replaced by more versatile and universal fonts
Here are some frequently asked questions about Kruti Dev Font:
What is the difference between Kruti Dev and Unicode fonts?
Kruti Dev Font is a non-Unicode font that is widely used in India for Hindi typing. Unicode is a universal character encoding standard that covers most of the world’s writing systems, including Devanagari. Unicode fonts are more versatile and compatible with multiple platforms and applications, while Kruti Dev Font is limited in its compatibility.
How do I install Kruti Dev Font on my computer?
To install Kruti Dev Font on your computer, download the font file from a trusted website and copy it to your computer’s font directory. You can then select the font from your applications and use it for typing.
Can I use Kruti Dev Font on my mobile phone?
Yes, you can use Kruti Dev Font on your mobile phone by installing a keyboard app that supports the font. Some popular keyboard apps that support Kruti Dev Font include Google Indic Keyboard, SwiftKey Keyboard, and Hindi Keyboard.
What are the different variants of Kruti Dev Font?
Kruti Dev Font is available in several variants, including Kruti Dev 010, Kruti Dev 011, Kruti Dev 014, Kruti Dev 016, and Kruti Dev 020. Each variant has its own unique features and characteristics.
Is Kruti Dev Font suitable for professional use?
Kruti Dev Font is suitable for professional use in India, where it is widely used for various applications. However, its non-Unicode nature and limited compatibility may pose some challenges in international settings.
I hope you enjoy using this font as much as I enjoyed it and if you want to know how to install fonts on PC here is the article from Microsoft on how to install fonts on Windows and for Mac users, here is the article from apple.com on how to install the font on Mac.